Tuesday 6 August 2019

Interview with filmmaker Matias Carelli

The Trial Of De Five will be screening at the Straight-Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films? 
In 2010, without any knowledge of cinema, I bought a camcorder and proposed to two friends with whom I was studying theater to make a movie. At the beginning we thought of doing something short and with few characters. The story of the script was evolving and changing. Finally we made a 104-minute feature film involving more than 200 people 

*What inspired you to make your movie? 
In 2014 I found an article from the nineties that talked about some strange deaths that occurred in 1993 in the Argentine Patagonia. I found it fascinating and mysterious enough to tell my own free version. Thus arose The Trail of the Five 

*How has your style evolved? 
I think today I try to leave less things to chance. But I like it when something is improvised. I think that many times it is better than what we plan. The performances are usually more authentic! 

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film? 
Several scenes of The Trail of the Five were to be filmed in Piedra Parada, a beautiful and emblematic place on the Patagonian plateau, which is characterized by having something or a lot of wind. When we went to shoot there with a generously lent van the weather was warm, calm and windless, something really weird there, especially in April. The next day, after camping with the team, we filmed other scenes as some wind began. When the joranda ended, the wind became much stronger, as is usually normal at that time. 

*What does the Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind? 
I think the Misrule movement is basically a breath of freedom and fresh air. In my country it seems that everything must be filmed through the Official Film Institute, otherwise it cannot be done. I think that to think from the place of Misrule is to truly democratize the cinema, see and listen to other perspectives, and give rise to artists from small and remote places as is my case. What do I think of pink8? Simply beautiful. Especially when he says that the cast shouldn't know what the movie is about! 

*What can we expect from your next film? 
I just want to expect the unexpected! Filming something that makes me happy without submitting to the whims of the system