Sunday 11 June 2017

Interview with filmmaker Luc

Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival   (2017)


What does your film express about today's generation?
My film expresses the mindset and direction of today's generation as well as the past. "MayDay" is a call for help. We all need it so, the aim was focused on hitting points that matter to ALL people and no one specific. It seems like people these days aren't too concerned with living for the future but, living for now. A time where a designer belt or sneaker is valued over life. A time where being called a bad female dog means that you're top notch. A time where bragging about killing your own whether drugs or fire arms means that you're considered the man. And a time where sleeping around for money would make you look like you're worth something. It saddens me how vanity has so much control over our actions that we would stoop to our lowest to seek that attention of people who doesn't care at all. I feel that things aren't getting worse but, because of all this technology we're exposed to way too much and now we see what's happening. Once it's in our face constantly it becomes normal and familiar that we now accept it.  

What social circumstances lead you to make your new film?
Just being fed up with all this craziness. Drug dealing (Trapping), gang violence, jealousy, crooked police officers and politicians, prostitution, wars, greed etc. Things that we see and hear constantly but no one ever seems to do anything but complain. I decided to address these issues and let it be known that we need assistance. Every time I turn around it's something negative that seems to draw the people in so, I decided to talk about the negative. Only the real stuff and let the visuals bring my lyrics to life.

What do you think about the PINK8 Manifesto & Punk Cinema?
I think that PINK8 Manifesto is brilliant and not like other film movements. It goes against the grain while creating good art by being bold and using their resources. Now days, everyone is mimicking whatever is successful at the moment to try and accomplish the same thing without being different. Without working on THEIR craft and thinking for themselves or working hard. Originality plays a big part and I can relate to that to its zenith. Punk Cinema on the other hand, creates movies that incorporates the punk lifestyle which lets the viewers know that punk is truly in their heart. It shows appreciation and loyalty. Again, we all should know that we are as one but, lets remember that everyone is different and there is nothing wrong with it. Be different, show your creativity and become a leader. Know and identify yourself.

What's next for you?
To expand my brand Man-Of-Flames and let the people know who Luc' is. That I am a dedicated and ambitious Artiste. That I produce music, direct and edit videos, and write and perform all of my own material and that I write and co- write for others also. I write hip-hop, dancehall, reggae, R&B, alternative rock, poetry, you name it. It has to feel good and has to have that appeal that catches the listeners ear to appreciate real good music. When ideas flow I'm ready to move on it. I have patience but I don't procrastinate. Whether it's ideas for film, videos, clothing, songwriting, ways to keep the peoples interest, or helping people to stay motivated I'm doing that. As you already know, the lyricist in my "MayDay" video was me. I just want the world to be exposed to my hard work and talent. Hopefully, we all can benefit from such positivity and grow into better individuals.