Friday 16 June 2017

Interview with filmmaker Jasmine Smoot

Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival   (2017)

What does your film A Year in the Life of a Disgruntled Teen express about today’s generation?
It addresses the fact that younger teenagers are going through a lot more emotional turmoil than most people would expect. 

What social circumstances lead you to make your new film?
I was a freshman/sophomore in high school when I made this film, so social cliques and peer pressure heavily inspired the overall 'feel' of the film. Although, it was heavily influenced by mental illness and personal friendships/relationships everyone makes during high school.

What do you think about the PINK8 Manifesto & Punk Cinema?
I think it's revolutionary and a great kick-starter for young, self-sufficient filmmakers. 

Whats next for you?
I am currently working on my family photography business while simultaneously going to college to get a bachelor's degree in digital photography. I am also working on making short movies and montages on my YouTube channel for fun.