Sunday 1 July 2018

Interview with filmmaker Hank Orion


*What was the movie you first fell in love with?
Titanic! Titanic! Titanic! When I saw that movie I was so deeply in love with it that I literally couldn't sleep at night. Everything the story, characters and the way it's shot. I love it. It's one of those movies I still re-watch time to time. 

*What gave you the strength to become a filmmaker?
I'm a very hardworking and deeply motivated individual. If I wouldn't be a filmmaker I'd definitely be an entrepreneur of some sort. I just love to create something from nothing. Fails that's what made me stronger. 

*Where do you find inspiration for your projects?
This one is tough. Sometimes it comes out of the blue, sometimes I really work on it and force it on the paper. Sometimes it hits me in most unexpected places, like a plain or a train home. Or I'd wake up in the middle of the night and have the idea for the film. 

*How would you define cinema in the 21st century?
I'd define it as a very powerful medium that can literally inspire people to becomes something, or completely discourage. But it's a fascinating form of entertainment always changing and evolving. And the technology today takes it to the next level. I can't wait to see how it will be in the next fifty years or so. 

*Tell us about Despair, what attracted you to the material?
Well, it's bizarre. I wrote this script called Heaven's Light back in LA in 2015 and wanted to shoot it there. The problem was that it was a sci-fi/drama and was taking place in post World War 3 times. Soon we realised that it will cost way too much to shoot it and I started rewrites. Five months later I ended up with Despair. 

*Who are some of your favourite current filmmakers at the moment?
I love all of them. And I deeply admire them. Because I know how hard it is to make a movie. I have my own preferences, and some of them are classic icons of cinema, but I'd love to keep them to myself in my Pandora box. 

*Do you feel that individualism is celebrated in the film industry?
Yes and no. This industry is very controlling and demanding. And want it or not, you have to play by rules to stay in the game. Sometimes that leaves no room for individualism at all.

*What would be your dream project to work on?
At present, my dream is to direct another Alien movie. I know what you might think, but I love Alien movies and still feel that there's a potential to entertain people. 

*What kind of themes have you covered in your films?
Life, love, and family. Those are the main three. In my films I want people to understand that life is too short, and that you live only once. So why not do what you want and live it the way you wanted. 

*How do you build your cast's trust?
Just like in any other business, same rules apply here. I work with people who trust me and stay loyal. That includes going through ups and downs together. That's what makes working relationships stronger.

*What can your fans expect from you for your next film?
We're working on a thriller called The Boy With A Knife right now. Followed by re-shooting my first film Outsiders later this year.