Thursday 27 January 2022

INTERVIEW: Poet Jolene McDonald

* How long have u been writing poetry? From my early school days I was always into writing, but it was around the age of 16 when I began to focus on poetry.  

* What subjects do you mainly cover? Back then, my theme was gothic romance. After being rejected by various publishers, my passion slowly faded, but since I became interested in cult leader Jim Jones, a new form of writing was born. It was my interest in him that sparked the poetry again, but in a whole new way. He is the only subject l'm covering now. To me, he's an unlimited topic.   

* Who are some of ur fav poets?  I haven't read poetry in a long time, but I always liked the works of the Romantic era and the darkness of Edgar Allan Poe. Then I moved on to being a fan of poetic musicians, such as Lou Reed.  

* What made u want to write poems about Jim Jones?  It wasn't really planned. It all came to me naturally. When my interest in Jim Jones began in January 2018, it was a long time since I'd written poems, never mind read them. As I was getting to know him, I had an idea to publish a book about him, but was unsure. In fifteen months, I had written over one hundred poems on the subject, so that was the moment I knew what my book should be. I found my poetry style, or I should say the style found me. Through Jim Jones, my way of writing poems had shifted through no deliberate intention. I had never presented it in such a way that flowed so effortlessly and it was unlike anything else. This way of writing poems was not influenced or inspired by anything I had read or heard in the years before, this was purely Jones. I don't even think of the writing as typical poetry. "Hymns" seemed more appropriate, that's why it was in the title of my first book, Morphine Messiah: Hymns for Jim Jones, self-published in February 2020. I felt there was a reason why my publishing attempts had failed in the past. This was meant to be my debut, and other books would follow, including more poetry and digitally created images inspired by him.   

* What are you currently working on? Between my online posts related to Jim Jones, I'm working on more books of digital images and arranging more poems for future collections. I found a whole new avenue of writing thanks to him. I cover a lot about the man and his existence, both on the surface and on a deeper level.