Monday 17 January 2022

FANZINE: Friends Of Syd Barrett


Over the years there have been so many Syd Barrett & Pink Floyd fanzines; there was a particular boom in the 80's thanks to various major news stories, but out of all of them one stood out the most in the American underground. Here is the founder Bob Koenig of the fanzine Friends Of Syd Barrett talking about his journey:

*When did you 1st get into Pink Floyd? 

In the 1970’s I was into a lot of 1960’s music, especially Psychedelia and garage bands. Looking for something wilder and way out that Sgt. Pepper; it was only natural for me to find out about Syd.

*What was it about Syd that made you want to start the fanzine? 

I felt he was an unknown artist that needed more of an underground push to be seen above ground. I started the Zine late 1980’s with no idea where it would go.  The first issue was mostly reprints of older articles. Each issue, I added more original material, be it reviews of CD’s just coming out; Bootlegs, tapes. 

By the third issue, it took notice of Tower Records magazine, Pulse , and after that review I sold well over 300 copies of the issue!! There were a couple stores in NYC that sold the Zine for me, “See Hear” a zine store, and “Revolver Records” so it had a bit of a following.

Then, once after pulse listed the Zine, people from all over the globe would order it. I placed an ad in Goldmine Magazine, too.

I also received mail and phone calls, many from overseas who would track me down and call in the middle of the night with Syd stories. One person swore they had tapes of Syd singing songs that later appeared on “Dark Side” and “Animals”. When I asked to hear them, of course they never came through.

 By issue nine, I had many things going on, not to mention a musical venture of my own. So, I just stopped it. Later, I kind of  started a zine again, only this time it was titled “Esoteric Popular Culture” and the first issue of that was kind of issue ten of FOSB. 

*Did you ever meet Syd or see him live? 

No. I guess mostly because I’m from the USA. Many would ask where Syd lived, but I often told readers NOT to try to find him or track him down. I didn’t believe in making things worse for him. 

*Whats your fav song of his? 

Now, that’s tricky. I had a music Duo called “The Jim-Bob’s” and we used to perform “Baby Lemonade” quite often.  I really like “Dominoes” and “late Night”. Of course, the whole first Floyd album is a must!! I wish they had a recording of his “Have You Got It Yet?” “Jugband Blues” would be another fave.  

*What was ur fav article in the fanzines? 

In issue four, a friend wrote an article comparing Syd with Robyn Hitchcock! Issue #8, I believe, talked about this comic book “Synn, the girl from LSD” (AC Comics) The comic had a lot of Floyd Barrett Illusions, and because of that I made a good connection with the comic people, and we’re still friends today.

I was trying to set up an interview with Jerry Shirley which never happened; and one with book author Nicholas Schaffner, who sadly passed away before the date was set! However, the guys who wrote the book “Crazy Diamond” did respond for a brief mention.

*What do you think Syd contributed to music in 1967?

While I love John Lennon’s compositions and his psychedelia musings, Syd with the “piper” LP debut seemed way ahead of his time. Maybe that was the problem with Syd…he was too ahead of all of us. John Lennon, George Harrison, Ram Dass…all seemed to have a new connection worldly and galactically after ingesting LSD. I’m not suggesting everyone go and do it; because there seems to come a price to it. 

We can only imagine where Syd could have taken us; I’m just thankful to have what we have of his music.

BUY: FRIENDS OF SYD BARRETT

LISTENDominoes (Bob's cover)