Wednesday 11 July 2018

Interview with filmmaker Diego Stickar


Pelicula will screen at the Straight Jacket Guerrilla Film Festival

*How did you get into making films?
PELICULA began as a project that didn't mean to become a feature film. It was going to be a 3 minutes video with a trailer structure. The trailer of a never made movie. I shot scenes in order to be able to edit it but then Irealised I was already in the process of making a film, an actual one with ideas development, concept arts, situations. It was shot in 3 parts. First in Berlin, then Buenos Aires and then Berlin to close the narration. 

*What inspired you to make your movie?
To observe the ways and kinds of human relationships. I wanted to make a portrait on my background and give my opinions about it.

*How has your style evolved?
Thanks to being able to shot my first film as a director I was able to put in it lots of aesthetic resources that I wanted to try and work with. It helped to reunite ideas, scenes that I had in my mind and now I'm able to work on something totally different in a more mature and concrete way.

*Tell us any strange or funny stories while making the film?
All the characters of the film are thought and inspired in real people. This is my background. None of the actors new about that until the shooting ended. Only then I told them about it and it was very funny looking at them becoming the persons they didn't even knew.

*The Misrule Film Movement & Pink8 manifesto bring what to mind?
I like it, a twisted and political proposal. I see it as something alternative and areapropriation of the territories, techniques, aesthetics and ideas. I think it is revolutionary and it reminds  us of the poor image concept that Hito Steyerl presents on his book 'Loscondenados de la pantalla'.

*What can we expect from your next film?
I looking forward to something completely different. At the moment I'm writing it as a B-Side of anything I've ever worked so far. 
It's very risky, dark, political, libidinous, explicit, and not so lovely. It's disgusting but also very emphatic.